Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday 4 November 2007

Info Post
Yeah that's right, I have (or maybe had?) a piece hanging in the Getty Museum in LA, more on that later...

Last week I attended Nathan Fowkes' Color Lecture at the LA Academy of Figurative Arts. Very inspiring workshop. I took some notes, which you can read right here:


The most important lessons I got out of it was the concept of unity with variety, which can be applied to any aspect of picture-making, and this other point he made about learning to develop a good sense of color intuitively: Its like learning to drive a car, where at first everything is new, and you have to think about everything, you can usually only think about one thing at a time at first, but after a while its second nature, you take for granted all those things you struggled at in the beginning. I think any aspect of picture-making can be thought of in that way, and that you do have to think about everything at first until it does become second nature.
Here's a drawing of Shelly Wan's foot!:


He suggested that we all do little abstract thumbnails that deal purely with color relationships. take any combination of colors and combine them in different ways, see what happens. do this until you start to understand what colors go together and why.
Here's a few I did afterwards..

I need that Edgar Payne composition book!

So we went to the Getty next day, checked out what they have. Really cool stuff, the place itself is awesome, and you get a great view of the LA metro area from the top.
After I was done looking at everything, I went to a place called the Sketching Room. Its pretty cool, they have sculptures and paintings you can draw from, and they even provide you with a horse, drawing board, and pencils to draw with.. So me and Arnie drew this cast here:

I let them keep mine, and they hung it up on the bulletin board to show the guests' attempt at drawing them. Arnie threw his away..

After that we checked out this show:
http://www.oscars.org/events/illustrators/index.html
William B. Major is a badass with watercolor! I heard there is a book in the making?

Here are some drawings and paintings I did last night, a direct result of being inspired by last weekend:






yay for femjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment