Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday 8 January 2012

Info Post
This weekend I took advantage of my prize for taking top honors at the 2011 Valona Paintout this year. What was that prize you say? Why, it was a workshop with the extremely fine painter Randy Sexton. It was a lot of fun. Although I didn't need as much instruction as the rest of the class, I really enjoyed the practice time that I got in. I did as many clunkers as those halfway worth showing, as is expected with doing these quick studies. I've been familiar with doing quick studies ever since I took a class with Craig Nelson back in the day, so I think I was ahead of the pack. The other students definitely improved by the end of the class, which is saying something about Randy's teaching skills. (By the way, super super nice guy)

We started with 25-minute studies in the beginning of day one. We then moved on to 1.5 hr studies in   the afternoon.

This is one of the 25-er's that survived:


I did this one in the afternoon in about 1.5 hours.


Day two began with a 25 minute study, then I did this one in about 2.5 hours. This one came out pretty successful. The likeness was decent, and I had a pretty good variety in paint thickness.


This one was about 2 hours long. It was a fun exercise in dramatic lighting. Not quite as solid of a finish as the other one (matter of fact, it's quite unfinished) but I am planning on taking it to a finish cuz ya know what why not?


Here are some shots of what Randy did over the weekend. He spent most of the time helping the students so there's nothing here that's too mind-blowing but he does have a lot of dynamite studies all throughout his studio.



He frequently offers workshops in the Bay Area and other areas throughout the country (and in Europe sometimes, I think.) If he's good enough to teach Pixar employees, you can probably learn something from him.

Share on Tumblr



Newsletter
Facebook
Tumblr
Drawings For Sale
Prints For Sale
Google+

0 comments:

Post a Comment