Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday 18 November 2012

Info Post
I went last week to visit a friend in South Carolina. It was a fun trip, though I didn't get as much painting done as I thought I would. The leaves weren't in full Southeast splendor; I was unable to come to see the real fall show until too late. But there was still plenty to see, and much to find quite interesting.

Some shots from around where my friend lives. Ooh la la.


I did a painting in the morning of my friend's dog's favorite creek :P
Downtown Greenville is pretty interesting. I didn't expect it to be the metropolis it was, nor did I expect it to be as lush and green as it was either. They have this really cool park with a waterfall running through the middle of it.

Next time I'll paint it. I didn't feel like lugging my paint gear all around downtown.

Asheville had a cool vibe to it. It was about an hour north of Greenville, and was an artsy sort of town. To me it felt like a sunnier Portland. Could use more bridges, though :P I can see why artists are attracted to the area. It's high in the Blue Ridge Mountains and surrounded by forest and old maple-filled mountains that feel more like really tall hills. But the air is cleaner and crisper than the lowlands. I saw some interesting galleries full of what the Southeast art scene vibe is. Saw some great Lynn Boggess paintings that have great texture when viewed up close.
Lynn Boggess
Great places to eat here. I enjoyed the vibe. I painted from Haw Creek Overlook out in the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's a highway that goes through all the state/national parks in the area. It must be amazing in the height of the fall colors. My attempt at tackling the blues of the mountains:
We spent the weekend in Charleston. I was most interested in visiting Charleston for the first time because of its reputation as an "art town" meaning "full of galleries." You never know if you will find a gallery that is a good fit. I saw a lot of them, but one in particular I could possibly see myself in, in the future, and that is Robert Lange Studios. The M Gallery was great because of the opportunity to see so many "art stars" in the same building. Go to their website and check out their roster. I guarantee you are familiar with most of the artists if you pay attention to fine art.

 
I did some paintings from a boat launch just outside of town. I did a quick painting of a sunset one evening, then a painting of the sunrise from the next morning. Discipline!

Well I would have painted more, but I came down with a cold for the remainder of the week I was there. If you are interested in more of the photos I took there, go here. Nothing beats California, if you ask me, but I would love to come back either in the spring or earlier in the fall. Will keep you in the loop if anything develops in Charleston.

I am stoked to tell you about some awesome group shows I am going to be in.
#1: Safehouse Show 6: Rooster Benefit

Friend and awesome artist Patrick Mathews has an adorable little pit named Rooster. The poor thing needed heart surgery, and because he's an artist, he needs help paying the vet bills. We are all happy to help in whatever way we can, so we are participating in a group auction with a good chunk of it going to the cause. Check out the lineup! 
#2: Another good friend and rising-star Rodrigo Luff invited myself and a ton of other awesome artists to participate in his curated show "The Moleskine Project #2."
Look at the lineup!

I'll post more info right before the show. I've see a lot of the work already, and it's sooooo killer! Follow Rodrigo on Tumblr to find more of the work.

 •

Newsletter
Facebook
Tumblr
Drawings For Sale
Prints For Sale
Google+

0 comments:

Post a Comment