Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 21 September 2011

Info Post
Hello everyone,

I am happy to share my latest painting. This landscape is of Sugarloaf State Park. It's one of my favorite hikes, and unfortunately because of state budget cuts, it will most likely be closed soon. I found it to be especially important to give the area some honor by recording it for posterity. I also pushed myself to do a painting that is more along the lines of the painters of the past. I am a big fan of Hudson River School Painters, but I never received such type of training, thus here is my best approximation mixed with what I've learned from so much plein air paintings. I would like to pursue this vein of painting more, but it is quite the labor of love to paint in such manner. I have learned a lot from doing this painting.

"The Lost Vista" 24x34" Oil on Canvas Mounted on Board.

I started off with doing small plein air paintings of what I sort of thought I might like to do. I did a few of these.


I also did some studies of various elements in the scene.


After having a better idea of what I might want to do, I went back to do another plein air study of the area. This is starting to get closer to what I want the picture to be.


After doing the plein air studies, I gathered all of my references, collected inspiration of paintings that were closest to what I wanted my paintings to be, and had everything in order, I did this preliminary study. As you can see, it's pretty close to what I ended up with as a finished painting. From here I went on to do the finished painting.


This painting will be available to see in person at the Christopher Queen Gallery in Duncans Mills, California. It is for the 35th Anniversary show.


I put up a video that has a preview of the show in catalog format.


I have a bunch of catalogs to give away. I'm sending out some to my mailing list next time I go to the post office.  If you would like one, follow this link and enter your info, and I'll send one out at no cost to you.


If you'd like to help spread the word, here is a link to the Facebook invite page. 



Newsletter
Facebook
Tumblr
Drawings For Sale
Prints For Sale

0 comments:

Post a Comment