Breaking News
Loading...
Friday 20 August 2010

Info Post
Hello all,

I recently completed a new series for a show that will be running at a local tattoo shop. To go with the venue I chose a subject which would fit the place. I like doing things like that; I guess it comes from studying illustration. I do much better with a loose parameter than just telling me to "go nuts."

I painted my friend, the model and excellent photographer Julia. I wanted to continue the process of the "Hip Hop" series yet in a different genre. The names of the pieces are all of species of roses, to further enforce the theme.

"Tuscany Superb," 12"x14", oil on canvas.
"Dupontii," 18"x24", oil on canvas.
"Goldyla," 12"x14", oil on canvas.
"Perle D'Ore," 12"x14", oil on canvas.
"Anastasia," 12"x14", oil on canvas.
"Alba Maxima," 12"x14", oil on canvas.
"Gray Pearl," 12"x14", oil on canvas.

You can order prints here

Process:

1: Pencil Sketch

After toning the canvas I did a careful sketch of the figure.



2: Underpainting

I then painted the figure to a finish. For most of these figures I finished in 2-3 layers, but this painting only took me one layer.



3: Tattooage and pattern

I first painted the pattern of the background cloth, then the tattoos on her back, then I fused them together by painting into and out of the figure.



4: Glazing

I didn't glaze all of these, but for ones like this one where I wanted to harmonize everything a bit more or adjust the values I threw an extra layer on it.



The show hangs Saturday August 21, and the official opening reception is September the 4th.  The show will be held at the Buddha's Palm Tattoo Gallery in Sebastopol, California.  I will be showing along with my friend MJ Lindo and Robert Harris.



974 Gravenstein Avenue, Sebastopol, CA‎ - (707) 829-7256

View Larger Map

I just dropped the paintings off at the show, and got the flyers... If anyone wants one (or more) send me your address and how many you want, and I'll mail em out to you...


0 comments:

Post a Comment