Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday 8 January 2011

Info Post
So I am still trying out all these other pencils that I don't normally try.  I'm still using the Lyra Giant Colored pencils... I like it still, but yeah I wish they were softer.  At least they don't break easily...  I was also using a Lyra Aquarell black crayon which feels pretty nice, but I should have checked how erasable it is.



As anyone who frequents a life drawing workshop frequently will tell you, it's pretty hard to find a good male model.  Even a decent one is a bit more rare than it should be...
I was also trying some Wolff Carbon Pencils which I haven't tried since art school. I forgot how good they feel. They are a bit waxier than I remember them being.

I found a pretty cool woodless prismacolor pencil(not one of those "sticks" either). Handles ok, gets pretty dark with enough pressure.






I am also using a fat stubby pencil that I think is called a Stabilo Woody.  It's not bad.  It gets pretty dark and is very creamy and waxy yet not too shiny... Very tough to erase, though.

It's not often that I get to go to a session that's all short poses... The majority of my drawings these days are above 5 minutes.  Which is great in its own way, but the balance needs to be there... I'm also really missing regular 3-hour poses, but that's for a different time.

I'm using the tried-and-true Conte charcoal pencils.  I think they are still my favorites because of its "creaminess" on the paper, ability to go dark, keep its point and relative erasability.
 

Next charcoal drawing update I will post up pictures of the tools plus the types of marks they make, how I sharpen them, etc.









Sign up for the newsletter: Get new art with each website update, and stay in the know for art shows and events!

0 comments:

Post a Comment