Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 15 June 2010

Info Post
Tonight I am doing something a little different.  I'm posting up a painting of mine which I don't like and am going to try and explain what I don't like about it and how I would change it.


This is a painting that I worked on two separate days, 1.5 hours each, approximately.  The thing I like the most about this view is the two clusters of trees opposite of each other.  I don't much like the foreground mound very much, but I do sort of like the mustard plants in the foreground.

The two main problems I have with the piece are the lack of separation between the middle ground and the background, and the awkward shape shooting off of the cluster of eucalyptus trees in the middle ground.  Also, there is an overall flatness characterized by a lack of atmospheric depth.

Here's what it looks like after some Photoshoppage:



I added a bluish glaze to the entire background and also added some violet tones to the shadows in the eucalyptus.  It sits that way further back in space. I also darkened the mound and resolved the shadow pattern to make it more 3-dimensional.  I added some orange and violet to the light side of the eucalyptus cluster just to separate them some from the hills in the background.

I didn't like how the line of the shadow ends in the bottom right corner either so I tweaked that up with the distort tool...

This view has potential, but I will have to find a more interesting foreground to go with the parts that interest me the most before I attempt a proper painting of this view.




A humble tree study I did on the same day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment