Breaking News
Loading...
Friday 5 November 2010

Info Post
Hey all,

I am continuing this series of paintings (something I don't do enough of) for a new show starting this Saturday. I am continuing the theme of the titles named after roses.


"Sunbird", 10"x10", Oil on Canvas.



"Blue Roses", 6"x11", Oil on Canvas.
 


"Amber Queen", 4"x10", Oil on Canvas Board.

As a challenge to myself and to switch it up a bit, I also decided to try painting part of the series in gouache.  It was fun, but I doubt I will want to work in gouache at this size again.  I feel much more comfortable painting in gouache at a smaller scale.  When you get large like this, the paint is harder to work with.  For gouache to be truly opaque, you have to use it at full strength.  No dilution.  It's hard to cover much ground with it because it will scumble and drybrush across the surface with no water or medium.  You are actually slowed down considerably by having to compromise between coverage and surface area.  Believe it or not, painting in oils for me is a lot quicker than painting in gouache.  That being said, I still enjoy painting in gouache a lot.  There's a lot of control and crispness, and I like the unpredictability of the edges after you manipulate the paint on the surface.  It's very forgiving.

"Cressida", 13"x40", Gouache on Etching Paper.

"Della Reese", 13"x40", Gouache on Etching Paper.

"Belle Isis", 19"x40", Gouache on Etching Paper.

"Ivory Fashion", 26"x40", Gouache on Watercolor Paper.


The first place I am showing this series will be at Yo El Rey Roasters in Calistoga, California.  My friend J Kirk has supported me for a while now, and he's doing well not only with his coffee but with selling work of local artists including myself.  I'm happy to be filling his walls with my work for a month.  Come on up if you can...

Yo el Rey Roasting /Art House
1217 Washington
Calistoga, CA

Facebook Page:



I have a few things coming up very soon in the works, I'll send out more info in the next coming weeks about it...

Sign up for the newsletter: Get new art with each website update, and stay in the know for art shows and events!

0 comments:

Post a Comment