Breaking News
Loading...
Friday 28 October 2011

Info Post
Last year I participated in the 2010 Valona Paint Out in Crockett, California. It was a good time. I nabbed 1st Place for the painting of the C+H sugar refinery. This year I returned to Crockett and painted these scenes around town.

Whereas last year the boundaries of the event were open, this year they had us stick to northern Contra Costa(Valona, Crockett, Port Costa). With my paintings I basically stuck to Crockett for more of a local feel. This part of the Bay Area has a certain quality of light that is made from the amount of moisture in the air. There is a white softness to the light that is very distinct.

I found that the shadows casted in this scene made an interesting pattern for a painting.

"Industrial Patterns" 8x10 Oil on Canvas Board. $550

I feel like even in black and white the light and dark pattern holds up:
EDIT: "Industrial Patterns" won 1st place at the Valona Paintout 2011!


This next painting was done from the other side of the factory. I was trying to take advantage of the quality of air that I mentioned. The paint in the sky is much thicker than it looks in this picture.

"The Carquinez Air" 8x10 Oil on Canvas Board. $550

This painting was done at the end of the factory. I enjoyed the shape of the tree and the composition between the tree and the building on the right. I've been trying to push for a more unified color harmony, so I pushed the muted yellows a lot more than how I saw them. It's pretty fun to push yourself beyond what you see while still making it feel natural.

"On The Strait" 8x10 Oil on Canvas Board. $550


These paintings will be on display at the Epperson Gallery in Crockett, CA.  The opening reception is from 2 to 5 pm, so if you have Halloween party plans and you're in the East Bay, there will be plenty of time to check them out before the festivities.

Reception and Silent Auction - 2:00 to 5:00 Pm, October 30th.
Awards Reception - 2:00 to 5:00 Pm, October 29th.


If you want to go check it out earlier, from 11 to 1 there will be a model at the plaza near downtown Crockett which we will be painting. It should be a good day with the weather tomorrow so you should come check it out if you can.

I also heard that the Artist Choice and People's Choice winners will receive a weekend workshop with Randy Sexton. Sweet!

Newsletter
Facebook
Tumblr
Drawings For Sale
Prints For Sale
Google+

0 comments:

Post a Comment