Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 7 November 2011

Info Post
Hey everyone, Just letting you know that I won 3rd place for this painting I did at the Paint Allied Arts paint-out in Menlo Park.

"Down The Walkway" 9x12 Oil on Canvas. $700

I spent close to 3 hours on this one which is more than I usually spend on a plein air painting, but since it was  so consistently overcast the whole time, the lighting situation didn't change much, affording me the time to really make sense of the complex scene.  I started off with a thumbnail sketch to figure out how I was going to group the lights and darks together.

I've also been trying to get into using thicker paint. One of the best ways to do it is to shovel on a bunch of paint with a palette knife, then take a brush and spread it out. You get the best of both approaches. I'm not usually a fan of the "palette knife"-look for the most part, so it's a good way to get a lot of paint on your canvas efficiently.

The way they did the awards were the top 3 people's choice votes get the prizes. They gave ballots for the public to cast before the stated deadline, so by the time I got mine up, half the people got their votes in. A lot of people told me that they wanted to change their votes after seeing mine! Not a big deal, but more prize money woulda' been nice... Oh well.

This pretty much concludes the year's plein-air event schedule for me. I will do another write-up with my thoughts on the year's events soon. (Link to last year's review: http://themainloop.blogspot.com/2010/12/this-is-article-i-have-been-meaning-to.html)


In other news, fellow artist Terry Miura has a show at the Thomas Reynolds Gallery in SF. I checked it out and it was outstanding! I really like the direction his new cityscapes are taking. I ended up in a bunch of photos from the opening(wish I brought a change of clothes). 

The paintings look great in the gallery. They are very well-presented in the space. Would love to show there... (hint, hint)


Newsletter
Facebook
Tumblr
Drawings For Sale
Prints For Sale
Google+

0 comments:

Post a Comment